Date:      Sun, 27 Sep 1998 08:30:16 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        Studded@dal.net (Studded)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrade documentation (Was: Re: Make world error on -current elf)

Studded wrote:
> Even if you don't want the masses updating
> right now, at *some* point in the future we want people to migrate from
> 2.2 to 3.x, so it's important to shake out the documentation too. :) You

I hope the masses won't be using a source level upgrade. I assume that
people will be able to take a 3.0-RELEASE CD and upgrade an installed
system like they have in the past.

> might want to throw in a pointer to Nik's "make world" tutorial as well
> so that people can get a better handle on that process as needed.

I think Nik should take my words and munge them into something a bit
more complete. I skipped over lots of issues that are covered elsewhere.

> 1.Update your source tree and mount this as /usr/src.
> 	By "update" I assume that you mean install the 3.0 sources?

I guess this needs a link to the CVSup instructions. It's not specifically
the 3.0 sources, but the HEAD cvs tag.

> 3.Remove any custom options from /etc/make.conf.
> 	Some examples here would be great. For instance, NOPERL is bad, but is
> NOSUIDPERL ok?  I'm assuming that standard things like CFLAGS= -O -pipe
> are ok, yes? It's important to make this clear not only to avoid
> mistakes in the initial conversion, but also so that people will know
> what's ok to use after the conversion is done. You might also toss in a
> warning about make world command line options. IIRC NOCLEAN is the one
> that's bitten most people, but I almost always include -DCLOBBER in my
> world builds, is this going to be good/bad/indifferent?

There are too many combinations, so testing is a nightmare. Most of those
options are for experienced current users - they shouldn't be used by
people who need to read documentation like this. I guess there is no
other place where those words exist, but I don't think they belong here.

> 	Some details on *exactly* what to change related to ldconfig would also
> be good. Is all the requisite information in the new rc* scripts?  Do I
> need to do more than install the new stuff? I understand the objective
> from what you've written, I just don't understand how to get there.

I've added a few more words about that. I'm trying to avoid quoting slabs
of script code.

> 	I'm assuming that at some point it's necessary to remake /dev, yes? At
> what stage in this process should that be done, and how? (I'm guessing
> '/bin/sh MAKEDEV all' will do it, but I'd hate to be wrong about that.

I'm not sure about that. 8-)

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137