Date:      Mon, 10 Jun 1996 21:02:23 -0400
From:      mkwan <mkwan@terra.cnct.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Help Needed!!!

Hi,

I have run into some severe problems when I tried to install the 2.1 version of
the FreeBSD.  I believe my hardware is fine because I had 2.0 running on it
previously.  Due to the recommedation from your document, instead of upgrading
to 2.1, I am installing 2.1 from scratch.  I have a 486/50 with 16M Ram, an
IDE DOS hard disk and a SCSI hard disk dedicated to FreeBSD.

The first step I did was to format the whole 1.08G disk as a primary DOS disk.
I did this because, previously I have a 20/80 partition scheme for DOS/FreeBSD.
I chose "A" when the installation script asked how I want to use the disk and
"No" to whether I want to keep the disk geometry aligned for other operating
systems.  The geometry came back as 1/1/1 for cylinder/bsd/sector.  Is that
correct? Or should I reset the geometry of the hard disk.? If so, what should
be the configuration?  I ran pfdisk but I don't know what to set the disk
to.

Last, I chose the CDROM as the installation media and then the process started
to roll.  It balked at mounting /mnt/dev/sd01f on /mnt/usr.  I thought that
the "f" partition should be mounted on /usr instead since I used the default
partition scheme by choosing "A" when asked.  The biggest problem came when
it tried to extract the "bin" distribution.  During the course of extracting
the stuff, there would be checksum errors.  I tried this installation
procedure many many times.  The checksum errors sometimes started after
10%, 39%, 50% had been loaded.

After so many times, I finally began to doubt my CDROM drive and so I tried
to do a minimum installation from DOS.  Same problems occurred!

Please help me ASAP as this has become a frustrating experience for me.
I thought getting 2.0 up was easy enough and getting 2.1 up should be a
breeze.

Thank you for your kind attention!

Mabel Kwan