Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2001 16:09:26 +0100
From:      Nick Barnes <Nick.Barnes@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   making -releng binaries on a machine running -stable

I want to track RELENG_4_3 on an old machine with a small local disk,
incapable of holding /usr/obj or running make buildworld.

I have a much bigger faster machine running -stable.  Can I make
RELENG_4_3 items on it and transfer them to the smaller machine?  I
have the RELENG_4_3 sources, but not in /usr/src/.  It seems that if I
set MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX and DESTDIR, I can make buildworld.  What if I
just want to make (say) telnetd?

Typing 'make' in src/secure/libexec/telnetd doesn't work; it puts the
objects in the wrong place and then fails because it's getting the
wrong libraries.

Nick B