Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2000 09:31:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Eldridge <diz@cafes.net>
To:        Potchanat Samermit <psamermit2@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Installation and Bootdisks

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000, Potchanat Samermit wrote:
> FreeBSD forerunners:
>
> I am new to Unix/BSD. I have an old 486 without a CD. I am trying to
> find my way to install a FreeBSD version into this machine. However,
> (unclearly) following the instructions on your site, the images for the
> floppies are too big for the diskettes.

The images should be just perfect.  floppies/boot.flp includes both the
kernel and the root filesystem and is only for use if you have a 2.88MB
floppy drive.  If you don't (which is probably the case), grab two
disks, label one "kernel" and one "mfsroot."  Then get both
floppies/kern.flp and floppies/mfsroot.flp.  These are floppy images, so
you will need a way to copy them to your newly labeled disks.  If you
have a UNIX box handy, you can use your favorite friend 'dd' or, if you
are using a DOS/Windows box, you can use rawrite, which can be found at
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/tools.

Simply run rawrite, supply it with the neccessary information, and you'll
have your boot and root disks.

> My machine has only 160 MB harddrive and 4MB Ram. Don't know if I can
> upgrade the RAM on this. Too old. I want to start with something minimal
> first until I have more money to buy a good machine for it.
>
> I have another machine with more RAM (20M) may be that is a better
> choice but will be the same HD.

The installer requires 5MB of RAM, but you can run FreeBSD with only 4.
I'm assuming these two boxes are using SIMMS, so just borrow some RAM from
one box just to install FreeBSD.  Afterwards you can run with 4, although
I'd recommend you get at least 16.

> Can someone help guide me through? I have been at this for quite some
> times and think I have run to an end. Need help. One day I will be able
> to help others too.

Well, this should get you booted and into position to start installing
FreeBSD.  From this point, you should be able to follow the on-screen
instructions.  If in doubt, reference the text files that are in the root
directory of the distribution (INSTALL.TXT, TROUBLE.TXT, etc).

> Thank you very much.

You are very welcome.  Good luck.

Mike