Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2001 10:32:24 -0600
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        at <atsaleh@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Floppy drive and networking

> I bought a full FreeBSD package and I cannot get the floppy drive to
> mount

Welcome.  Try this:

  # mkdir /mnt/floppy
  # mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

If you want to shorten that, put a line like

  /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy msdos rw 0 0

in /etc/fstab.  Then, the command

  # mount /mnt/floppy

will mount the floppy drive.  In either case,

  # umount /mnt/floppy

will unmount it.

> is it like Linux or what?

Yes.

> By using X like GNOME I cannot find the utilities to mount or to
> adjest the network settings.

The X-based utilities to do stuff like that are more often than not
Linux-only.  The "correct" way to adjust network settings is to edit
/etc/rc.conf, though I think you can do some rudimentary configuration
from /stand/sysinstall.  See section III of the Handbook and
/etc/defaults/rc.conf for info.

If you have /specific/ problems, please feel free to post them here.

Lucas