Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:31:55 -0500
From:      Craig Huckabee <huck@nosc.mil>
To:        Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UDMA ICRC READ ERRORs

Andrew,

I've got the same problem with 4.2-BETA and an AMD K6/2 500Mhz box, built
with an ASUS P5A, and a Western Digital hard drive.  I searched the mailing
list archives and found this fix :

/sbin/sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio

I added that line to /etc/rc near the top so it runs each time the system
boots.  Turns off UDMA mode, so performance suffers, but the errors go away
(at least after /etc/rc runs they do, so a few may sneak in before that)

I have two other 4.2 systems with the same hardware except they use Maxtor
hard drives that don't have this problem.

If anyone knows of a better solution, pass it along.  I guess it is
possible (or should be) to somehow to turn of UDMA in the kernel ?

HTH,
--Craig