Date:      Sat, 17 Feb 2001 00:46:38 -0500
From:      "James B. Wilkinson" <jimmy@CS.cofc.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Hardware that works

I've just looked through the 4.2 release notes regarding supported
configurations. I didn't see anything about CD burners. Does having
ATA among supported disk controllers mean that ATA CD burners should
all work? (I also checked appendix F in the Handbook, but what's
there seems to be about 5 years old, at least the part about burning
CD's.) There are probably more places I should have found to look in
but didn't.

It took me a while to decide to write this because I was afraid that
somebody might interpret it as a complaint. That's not my intention;
it would be churlish. You guys are doing us all a great service, and
we appreciate it. However I think I'm sort of stuck here and need
some help.

I've got a lab full of old 100-Mhz. Zenith Campus Z-Stations that I
use in my networking course. About all we do is to install FreeBSD on
all of them and hook them together and make them talk to each other,
but there are some things that should be backed up from time to time,
and burning CD's seems to be the right way to do it. I don't want to
buy something I can't use.

In case it does you any good to know this, FreeBSD works fine on the
Z-Stations, except that it can't see the ATAPI CD drive on most of
them. T'is a puzzlement, but we get by ok. On the other hand, these
machines came with Accton EN1661 Ethernet cards, and they all seem to
work just fine using the NE2000 driver.

Thanks

Jimmy Wilkinson            | Perfesser of Computer Science
jimmy@cs.CofC.edu          | The College of Charleston
(843) 953-8160             | Charleston      SC        29424

If there is one word to describe me,
that word would have to be "profectionist".
Any form of incompitence is an athema to me.