Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:03:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        "George V. Neville-Neil" <gnn@neville-neil.com>
Cc:        cfliu <cfliu@csie.nctu.edu.tw>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is recv/sendmsg important for AF_INET only sockets?

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, George V. Neville-Neil wrote:

> > Hi, I am implementing a small BSD socket layer which supports only the =
> > AF_INET family. I am wondering whether recvmsg() and sendmsg() calls are =
> > required for the INET protocol family. I don't know if I should =
> > implemented it or not. I have looked up some open source projects and =
> > grepped for recvmsg and sendmsg calls but couldn't find any.   How often =
> > do people use recvmsg/sendmsg() calls (also readv()/writev()) in their =
> > BSD socket based Internet applications? Is it safe NOT to implement =
> > these functions for a INET socket?
>
> These are used by applications that are implemented on top of UDP
> and they're very useful.  If I were a consumer of your product I'd be
> pretty disappointed if these calls were not there.

which, readv or recvmsg?

Personally I've used recvmsg() quite a bit but usually on special NON IP
protocols. I've never used readv(), so if you're writing the stack for
embedded use you may be able to do without these. You may consider writing
an extension module that gives these extra interfaces if people want them.