Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 15:27:53 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Glenn Johnson <gljohns@bellsouth.net>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Finding a.out shared libraries (was: Netscape no longer works with ELF system)

> ie., a new user getting FreeBSD 3.0 from the CD when it is released. I am
> pretty sure they will want to run Netscape and probably some other aout
> precompiled binaries. How will this situation be handled? Should there be a
> compatibility package of aout libraries?

That would pretty much be the answer.  Just like we have compat21, I
guess we'll need compatX11aout.  compatX11aout will need to take the
latest a.out 3.0 X11 libs and repackage them so the tarball has them in
lib/aout.  And makesure you don't forget the "-C /usr/X11R6" argument to
tar.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.ucdavis.edu  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)