Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2000 00:49:27 -0400
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: sendmail virtual hosting setup

At 09:31 AM 4/29/00 +1000, Doug Young wrote:
>I'm trying to setup virtual hosting in 4.0 RELEASE, have put the domain
>names in  sendmail.cw, setup virtusertable, but seems I need to do something
>with the "mc" file that doesn't exist on my system.
>
>Alejandro Ramirez said in a posting back on December 3rd 1999 "you have to
>tell sendmail to use this files, for this you will have to add the following
>option to your ".mc" file.: FEATURE('virtusertable', 'hash
>/etc/mail/virtusertable')dnl .... you can find a generic file in
>"/usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf/cf" directory......"

Heh...no. He's not talking about after sendmail is built he's talking about
during the sendmail build.  You would edit the
$SENDMAIL_SRC/cf/cf/config.OS.mc file and add those lines to it (after
renaming it).  THEN you would run the m4 preprocessor on that config file
(after building sendmail) and move the resulting cf file to /etc/mail as
/etc/mail/sendmail.cf.  The INSTALL is good reading for sendmail and quite
simple to follow.

>Well thats probably OK if one has a "/usr/src/contrib" directory, but not
>much use if it doesn't exist !!" Now I know there's a place in /sysinstall
>to add all system sources, but surely there's gotta be a better way to get
>the one itty bitty file I need than clutter up my system with hundreds of
>Mb's of stuff I'll probably never uae..

Nope.  no contrib required here.  Its all a part of the source of sendmail.

>Is it more straightforward to download the source from sendmail.org &compile
>/ install over the existing sendmail installation in order to get access to
>the configuration stuff ??

:) yep. er well...its not bad.  Ports is *maybe* simpler...I really don't
know though.  I've never installed sendmail via ports.

- Jim

>I've tried making sense of the documentation at sendmail.org, but its
>obviously written for experts & not someone trying to figure this stuff out
>for the first time,
>there's far too many critical steps omitted for it to be of any use to a
>newbie..
>
>According to info at sendmail.org, in order to reverse-map local users for
>outbound mail, apparently I also need to add
>
>"FEATURE('genericstable', 'dbm /etc/genericstable')dnl"
>"GENERICS_DOMAIN_FILE('/etc/sendmail.cG')dnl"
>and create "/etc/genericstable"
>
>however there's virtually no info explaining exactly HOW one is supposed to
>go about this.
>
>In documentation generally there's many mentions of "sending a SIGHUP" which
>I understand is supposed to be a way or restarting a process. However as far
>as I've been able to find, the actual command "SIGHUP" doesn't exist.
>There's no man entry for it, hours of poking around the mailing list
>archives has failed to produce any indication of how to use it, (the only
>response I've ever got from using it is Command not found), so why is it
>mentioned so often rather than using the "real" command relevant to whatever
>application, in this case something like "kill -HUP 'cat /var/run/inetd.pid"
>??

Today's errors, in contrast:
Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935"
UNIX  - "segmentation fault - core dumped"
Humanous Beingsus - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"