Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 1996 10:50:21 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ssh /etc config files location..

> The fact that the ssh files are *host specific* is a far more important
> consideration. They should therefore be in a *genuinely* local part
> of the filesystem.

That's what I was trying to say.  Basically, they ssh config files (most
notably the keys) are host-specific, so they must exist in a
host-specific portion of the disk.

> > > I disagree with proposed solution (moving configs only to /etc).
> >
> > I agree.
>
> I disagree with /etc. These are not configuration files, they are
> runtime modifiable files and should go in /var.

Huh?  They are most certainly configuration files.  The public/private
keys as well as ssh_config and sshd_config are not (any more so than any
other config file ) runtime modifiable once they are initially
installed, and once they are installed (as with any configuration file)
they shouldn't be touched, unlike the files in /var/run.  Now, sshd.pid
is a file that should get stuck in /var/run, but I think we'd all agree
on that move.

Nate