Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 20:52:00 -0800
From:      "Michael Bryan" <fbsd-security@ursine.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CERT released RSAREF bulletin

>I've noticed that the patch just changed from its Dec.2 version.
>Does it mean that the rsaref2 (and therefore the software based on it)
>as of Dec.2-Dec.13 is/was still vulnerable,
>or this is more of a aesthetic change for the sake of the patch elegancy ?

If I recall the BugTraq message on this correctly, the original RSAREF=
 patch
was not enough to catch all cases, but did close things down substantially.

There was also a patch made to the port of ssh in mid-November=
 (specifically
rsaglue.c), and I think that fully closes the hole as well, but obviously
only for ssh/sshd.  Other users of RSAREF would still be vulnerable unless
the RSAREF port is patched as well.

As a final note, a BugTraq message said that somebody has coded an exploit
for the bug as seen in sshd 1.2.27 and earlier, and they are about to=
 release
it to the world.  It works on Linux and OpenBSD, giving the attacker root=
 access.
It will likely work against FreeBSD as well, possibly with minor=
 modifications.
Anybody who uses ssh 1.2.27 or earlier in combination with RSAREF needs to=
 update
things on their systems ASAP.  (RSAREF is not the normal compilation of the=
 ssh
port, though.)

Supposedly there is a 1.2.28 version of ssh in the works, but there's no=
 sign
of it just yet on their ftp server or web site.

Michael Bryan
fbsd-security@ursine.com