Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 1995 07:22:35 -0700
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami/=?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCQHUbKEI=?= =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCOCsbKEIgGyRCOC0bKEI=?=)
To:        rkw@dataplex.net
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Experimental packages

(moved from "hackers" to "ports" - so I'll quote the whole message)

 * Date: Mon, 3 Apr 1995 08:03:49 -0500
 * From: rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
 *
 * Do we have a mechanism for setting up "not ready for prime time ports" so
 * that we can share the current state of the art?
 *
 * As an example, perl5 is not of release quality, but is useful for some
 * other packages that rely on it. I am sure that someone has attempted to
 * port it. I would like to be able to utilize the results of their efforts.
 *
 * 1) It you have worked on this, please send we your patches.
 * 2) IMHO, we need a formal place in the distribution tree for this class of
 * port. (Use at your own risk)
 *
 * ----
 * Richard Wackerbarth
 * rkw@dataplex.net

Well, I think we already have many things in the ports tree that is in
this class.... ;)  For instance, the xemeraldia that I committed
recently just got upgraded from 0.2 to 0.3, tkWWW is 0.12....

So I'd say don't worry.  Just noting that fact in the package files
should be fine, IMHO.  If it's really dangerous (like it randomly
overwrites stuff in your home directory, not likely though :), maybe
you can add a target like

pre-install:
	@echo -n "Warning!  This port is very dangerous!  Are you sure? >> "
	@(read ans; \
	  case x"$$ans" in \
	    xy*|xY*) \
		return 0; \
		;; \
	    *) \
		return 1; \
		;; \
	  esac)

in the Makefile.... :)

However, noting that fact in the KEYWORDS variable (look at Jordan's
recent messages to "ports") might be useful.  Hmm, what is a suitable
keyword...anyone?

Satoshi