Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 13:19:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: proposed secure-level 4 patch

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 19, 1999 at 12:56:19AM -0500, Frank Tobin wrote:
> > Okay, a good friend of mine Kris Wehner has written a patch to implement
> > the proposed securelevel of 4, which would disallow the opening of
> > secure ports (<1024) while in the securelevel of 4.  The patch is against
> > 3.2-STABLE kernel, as of within 12 hours.  I'd like to hear more comments
> > before I send it as a send-pr.  The patch is attached.
>
> I think using securelevel 4 for this is a bad idea.  I believe the
> right thing to do with securelevels is to start splitting them into a
> set of different sysctls, where each individual feature can be turned
> off.  It is convenient to have a set of sysctls you can use to "turn
> off everything" (like securelevel does today).
>
> However, to apply a "full securelevel" to a box is difficult; the
> ability to throw away single capabilities could be very useful.

I considered suggesting this last night, then realized that applying only
the effect added by securelevel 3 or the proposed level 4 would be
ineffective, as it's easily circumvented through loading a custom kernel
module, writing to /dev/kmem, etc.  Blocking the binding of low ports
would be ineffective without restrictions on changing IPFW rules, as IIRC
IPFW rules can be used to redirect packets from one port to another.

For what we have now and for the proposed securelevel 4, I'd say that the
current system makes sense.  If we did start to add security features that
are orthogonal to the present ones, however, I'd agree that they should
be separate sysctl knobs.  Securelevel 2 would still be pretty much
mandatory for enforcing any other restrictions on root, though.

--
Brian Buchanan                                     brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU