Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 17:21:36 -0600
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Treading on toes (was: O'Reilly article: Whence theSource: Untangling the Open Source/Free Software Debate)

Wes, thanks for the flowers. I mean that in every sense of the word. I am
touched. Here I thought that I was a major irritant through expressing my
not so modest views. ;-) Now that I exposed myself, I promise that I
won't mention guns or the disappearing middle class. < very big grin >

> I certainly agree that is a problem; nobody here wants to turn away any
> willing workers.  I for one strongly regret the passing of Frank Pawlak
> from this list shortly before the foundation of Daemon News, because I
> think Frank would have contributed to it frequently and well.

I still read the mail-list but have decided to become inactive and
observe events from arms length so to speak. This occurred after a major
flame fest that got nasty. BTW, I am not trying to open old issues, as
all is forgotten and forgiven at least on my part. In truth I have been
doing a little with, dare I say, Linux. Please note that that is a
demand driven profession situation. I really still run FBSD on my
personal machine.

Brett, I would suggest that you search the archives under my name to
check out some of the ideas that I had for marketing FreeBSD. Not that
they were good mind you, but you may learn a thing or two on how not to
do things and why some of them never saw the light of day. I will omit
the details here, well... nuff said.

Marketing anything is an all-time job. All factors associated with FreeBSD
need to be involved. That details out to Walnut Creek, Mr. Hubbard and any
other parties presently concerned with promotion and distribution.
Without buy-in and coordination with them you are fighting a loosing
battle, IMHO. However, I urge you to try and you may have better results
that I. I hope so, as FreeBSD needs it very bad, and now is the time. The
commercial ports to Linux are exploding, and I'm not necessarily referring
to user stuff. Business-to-business e-commerce is one area that comes to
mind.

Frank