Date:      Fri, 05 Jan 2001 15:14:37 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
To:        j <jweismann@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hard drive size

> j wrote:
>
> I just installed FreeBSD 4.2. I tried installing ports using the make
> install command. Here's what happened:
>
> 1. it installed alot of ports. i went to the security folder and told
> it to make install. I believe it went ahead and installed ALL the
> ports in the /security dir( i think).

Yup, just as if you did "cd /usr/ports;make" it would try to install
everything in the whole ports tree!
To install just a single port, cd to the specific directory that it
exists in and do "make install" from there.
I'll answer your unasked questions as well ...
To get rid of everything, change to that "security" directory and do
"make deinstall;make clean" It'll take a while, but it will
uninstall/clean up the whole security branch.
To see what you've got installed, type "pkg_info" It'll probably scroll
off the screen, so "pkg_info | more" is probably easier to deal with.
To find out how much disk space is used/available "df -h"
I would also recommend reading the man pages for "df", "pkg_info" and
the handbook section on ports.

> 2. It got most of the way through installing it and then gave me an
> "error code 1". What is that?

Hard to say - scroll back through the output to see where the error
started. A lot of times, make errors cascade down and in the end all you
see is a bunch of "error code 1"s on the screen. Scroll back up to find
the error that started it all and it'll probably tell you something
useful. If you're at a text terminal, hit the scroll lock key and then
page up.

> I will admit i am an utter newbie at this and have searched high and
> low for answers. Any assistance would be helpful.

Well, you've found some - hope they're helpful.

-Bill