Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 03:33:15 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>
To:        Tim Oneil <toneil@visigenic.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed net card question

On Mon, 12 May 1997, Tim Oneil wrote:

> Hi guys. I have a 486 that I think I'd like to use as an
> intranet web server for simple testing and I have some
> kind of NEC(?) or other kind of 16 bit ether adapter that

NEC - company
NIC - network interface card

> my exsisting 2.2.1 system wants to recognize as ed0. It

NE2000 compatable (good)

?

> it not configured, which is ok, I want to use it in the new
> box anyway, and the config software is probably for dos. But

you may need it to program the flash ...

> the default irq on the card is 3, so I adjusted the sysconfig

BAD setting - will conflict with COM2 (oh, it's jumperable?)

> to reflect this, as well as removed my serial card temporarily

the pc has no UARTs on board?

> and it still timed out. I was wondering if there was an ideal
> irq to use on the fresh 2.2.1 system? Does the dos config ware

yeah, 5 or 7 - as long as you don't use your printer on one of those.

> give an extra set of instructions to kick it on line or something?

you should read more about this stuff.  you will need to set up
ARP, PPP, etc, etc.

 Sleep: a sign a caffeine deprivation ... http://www.anchorage.net/~un_x