Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:03:57 -0700
From:      "Crist Clark" <crist.clark@globalstar.com>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HTTP and FTP

Evren Yurtesen wrote:

> I wonder if it is possible in HTTP to make users login to their home dirs
> automaticly and when they put files it goes in with their uid,gid and of
> course they will login with their own passwords? etc. =)

It should not be terribly difficult.

> also what is the simplicity of that kind of setup compared with http
> server instead of using an ftp server?

Setting it up an HTTP server to allow anonymous file downloads is trivial
since that is what 99.9% of the webservers on the Internet are doing
right now. Allowing users to download from a home directory with a
password is easy enough too. Writing (HTTP POSTs and PUTs) is a different
matter. Most HTTP servers are not configured to do this in such a away as to
mimic FTP's typical functionality. However, we are talking about computers.
They do whatever you tell them. Getting an HTTP server to accept POSTs
where the 'Authorization:' field provides a username for finding a home
directory is definately do-able. I can't say off the top of my head whether
you can get something like Apache to do this by just configuring it
correctly or if you need to add new modules or hack source. And the
other issue is finding a HTTP client that will push POSTs how you want.

The main limitation when considering HTTP versus FTP is to remember that
HTTP is stateless and FTP is not. There are other little things here and
there that HTTP cannot do that FTP can. I do not believe HTTP has a
mechanism to rename a file (without downloading, deleting, and uploading).
Although it is easy enough to make your own implementation there is none
in HTTP itself (I could easily be wrong, I don't know RFC2616 by heart).
--
Crist J. Clark                                Network Security Engineer
crist.clark@globalstar.com                    Globalstar, L.P.

The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential,
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If
the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee
or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please contact postmaster@globalstar.com