Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 2001 07:01:09 +0200
From:      Nevermind <never@nevermind.kiev.ua>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bad block search/marking as unusable [need an advice]...

[Please, when answering, Cc: me, because I'm not subscribed to -questions]

Dear Sirs,

I would like to know if there is way to scan hard drive for bad blocks and mark
them as unsable on live system.

I mean I have no ability to reinstall from scratch, so using BIOS's low level
format is not avaliable (I have very poor internet connection speed (14400
bit/sec, have no floppy drive, have no cd-rom drive and so on).

The point is that my HD is very old and small:

ad0: 519MB <M1603TA> [1055/16/63] at ata0-master WDMA2

and it has a lot of bad blocks. I need them to be not usable by filesystem so
that I'm not loosing my data.

Thanx for your answers. I really need and appreciate them.

--
NEVE-RIPE