Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 12:15:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        ben@scientia.demon.co.uk, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filtering port 25 (was Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to   talk to dialups)

> No matter how you look at it, it's technically possible to (1) get
> rid of the storage argument and (2) get rid of the modem transit
> argument.

Technically perhaps, but we have to implement this stuff in the time
frame of yesterday.  Theory is great, we have a real job to get done
today, not next year.

> > > Block them animated GIF banner ads... that'll decrease your overhead.
> >
> > No, CACHE the animated GIF banner ads making it look like our pipe to
> > the internet is much larger than it really is.  If I block them I'd
> > have to modify the AUP, if I make them fast our clients are just a
> > bunch of happy campers.
>
> But they are dynamic content.  By definition, you won't get the
> same data each time.  Not that I'd mind a single, cached FreeBSD
> banner ad, mind you, but I'm sure your own site hosting customers
> (if you have any) will want _their_ banner ads propagated.

Animated gifs are not always dynamic content, they are .gif files that
don't change most of the time.

Banner ads are fine to cache, due to the fact that when you aggregate
a large user base who all hit the same area of the internet you quickly
build up a good collection of the banner ads that area of the internet
is sending out.

We probably have a 60 to 70% hit rate on any banner adds on Yahoo and
a few other major sites.  Though the pointer in the referenceing page
causes that page to be uncacheable, the pointed to (reference) is often
quite cacheable and static, and often even an animated gif.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net