Date:      Sat, 26 Sep 1998 15:31:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      alexandr@mail.eecis.udel.edu
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        Jerry Alexandratos <alexandr@mail.eecis.udel.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: DEVFS IS BROKEN - DON'T USE IT (Re: Build problem with CODA and DEVFS)

Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 18:30:01 -0400
From: Jerry Alexandratos <alexandr@mail.eecis.udel.edu>

Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl> says:
: On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Jerry Alexandratos wrote:
:
: > I go the following error when trying to make a kernel (just cvsup'd the
:
: You're not the only one surprised by this... DEVFS in its current shape
: doesn't work too well, and probably Coda wasn't yet converted to be
: DEVFS-friendly.
:
: I think it should be clearly stated in LINT that DEVFS is BROKEN and
: should not be used for now.
:
: If no-one objects, I'll mark it as such in LINT.

I've never had a problem with DEVFS yet.  Granted, it be nicer if it did
more than it currently does, but it's not bad, and I wouldn't list is as
broken.

Anyway, the reason I tried the DEVFS/CODA combo is because I noticed
that in the latest coda code updates had changes for DEVFS support
(unless I read the code incorrectly).  I figured I'd take a shot at
compiling it.

Like I said, I thought someone would like to know.

       --Jerry

8) Jerry Alexandratos          % - %   "Nothing inhabits my    (8
8) alexandr@louie.udel.edu     % - %    thoughts, and oblivion (8
8) darkstar@strauss.udel.edu   % - %    drives my desires."    (8