Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 03:47:42 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Why is it that...

I finally picked up a SCSI CD to pull CD-DA tracks from my CDs to convert
into mp3's, and am wondering why tosha reports that my mp3 should be
~1.8Meg, while the result of using mpeg_musicin to convert it to an mp3
works out to be almost 5Meg?

 track   playing  start    end     raw size  mp3 size   # of
 number   time    sector  sector   in bytes   44 kbps  frames
    1    5:41'25       0   25599   60211200   1877620   13067

Are the only tools for converting to mp3 that work under FreeBSD
mpeg_musicin and l3enc?  Could there be enough of a difference between the
two to have this sort of result?

Thanks...

Marc G. Fournier
Systems Administrator @ hub.org