Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 2014 14:37:58 +0000
From:      Dr Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Creating a bootable ZFS disk?

I=92m trying to create a new ZFS pool from an existing one (the new one =
is 4k aligned and the old one is legacy 512b).

But, I can=92t get it to boot! Not sure what I=92m doing wrong.

I thought I could create the new pool, and use =91zfs send/recv=92 to =
copy the existing pool and then boot onto the new disk, but the kernel =
doesn=92t load=85 :(.

Does anyone know what I=92m doing wrong?

Here=92s my recipe:

	# gpart create -s gpt diskid/DISK-NEW-DISK
	# gpart add -s 64K -t freebsd-boot diskid/DISK-NEW-DISK
	# gpart add -t 8G freebsd-swap diskid/DISK-NEW-DISK
	# gpart add -t freebsd-zfs diskid/DISK-NEW-DISK
	# gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 =
diskid/DISK-NEW-DISK

	# zfs create copy /dev/diskid/DISK-NEW-DISKp3
        # zfs send -R oldpool@20141226 | zfs receive -duvF copy
        # zpool set bootfs=3Dcopy/ROOT/default copy

That ought to do it, right? But, if I remove all the existing drives and =
try and boot on just the new drive, it gets nowhere. I see the =91/=91, =
but it doesn=92t spin and doesn=92t time out. :(.

Any clues would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Joe=