Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 17:46:12 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

>At 01:17 PM 7/20/99 -0700, Tani Hosokawa wrote:
>
> >You've entirely misinterpreted the situation.  The kids aren't the ones
>>making Linux grow, it's the serious developers and people who work with
>>Linux in the real world that do it.  The kids are the hangers-ons, the
>>symptoms.  The actual roots lie with the professionals.
>
>Your assertions are inconsistent with the facts.
>
>If your statements above were true, then FreeBSD would be at least as
>successful as Linux. It would enjoy the same installed base and growth rate.
>In fact, BSD UNIX in general would be far ahead, because it has been around
>longer.
>
>But it's not, and in fact is losing market and server share.
>
>Of course, I'm sure you won't allow the facts to affect your utter devotion
>to the doctrine of the Church of L. Jordan Hubbard, which preaches otherwise. :-(

   If you're talking about free software, then Linux has been out for two
years longer than FreeBSD. Current market indicators have Linux about 4 times
larger installed base than FreeBSD, with both growing at a rate of
approximately 2X per year. In fact what is quite amazing is how incredibly
_close_ the growth rates are - nearly identical over more than 6 years.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder/Principal Architect, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
Creator of high-performance Internet servers - http://www.terasolutions.com