Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:31:49 -0700
From:      "Sam Zamarripa" <samz@oz.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   PPP Nat Bandwidth Sharing

Hi. I was wondering if this is even possible or I am looking for too much.

I use a 56K dialup connection. I am using PPP Nat to share with a LAN.
Bandwidth sharing doesn't seem to be too efficient. For example if Machine-1
on the LAN is doing a major download of a compressed file and getting near
full speed of 5.6K/sec, if Machine-2 starts web browsing or a download
itself..they can barely pull 1K/sec. It would seem to me that it should
start throttling the bandwidth back so both machines are getting about
2.8K/sec each evenly. Is this possible?

I thought maybe using DUMMNET and the Weight command would work as the
example shows on  this page - http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ip_dummynet

But it didn't make much difference. Is there a way to efficiently share
bandwidth or am I just looking for too much out of this? Thanks.