Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 11:54:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   tcsh import comments

So far I don't see any problem with the import.  We now have a csh-centric
shell that:

o Has a far more flexible and user-centric interface (not just for
  scripts)
o Provides strong backwards compatibility with our existing csh (we should
  do some in-depth tests to confirm this)
o Provides stronger locale support than csh or sh, improving support for
  localization in the base FreeBSD OS

At this point, I'd prefer to see tcsh attached to the build tree as
/bin/tcsh for compatibility with the BSD/OS source base, and /bin/csh
retained for portability until we've managed to do a thorough script
interop.

Give that our sh is not exactly a boring and straight-laced line-mode
shell (set -o emacs), I think it makes sense for us to update our csh
also.

  Robert N M Watson