Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 08:22:42 -0500 (CDT)
From:      mikebo@tellabs.com
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        mikebo (Mike Borowiec), mrm@mole.mole.org, bugs@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5R PANIC on AHA2742AT

Justin wrote (and Mike Murphy concurred):

> Disable the uha0 device from within userconfig (boot with the -c flag).

Okay... I disabled everything except the console (sc0), floppy (fd0) and
ethernet (ed0) which I need to get running...  I get all the way through
the configuration screens, right up to the point where the ethernet board
is to be initialized.

The ethernet configuration screen reads:
Fatal signal 11 caught! I'm dead...

The last line of my debug screen reads:
DEBUG: Init routine called for network device ed0.

>From this point on, all I can do is toggle between the config screen
and the DEBUG screen.

In the boot (/kernel -c) I manually reconfigured my ethernet board to
the following values:
ed0 at 0x280-0x29f irq 9 maddr 0xdc000 msize 16384 on isa

I don't like using irq 9, but my system is full of cards. Besides, it
has worked just fine under 2.1.0-RELEASE. The device is found at boot
all right, and even tells me the hardware address, yet the install blows
up on the ifconfig. Now what? 8v(
- Mike
Michael Borowiec   -   mikebo@tellabs.com   -   Tellabs Operations Inc.
Senior Member of Technical Staff                4951 Indiana Avenue, MS 63
708-512-8211  FAX: 708-512-7099                 Lisle, IL  60532  USA