Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:09:43 +0200
From:      Paul Schenkeveld <paul@psconsult.nl>
To:        Ian West <ian@apdata.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual PCI SIO card

Hi all,

On Sat, May 05, 2001 at 01:30:07PM +0930, Ian West wrote:
> Hi, I have a Sunix SUN1889 based dual serial card. I have it working by
> modifying the sio driver to scale divisors by 8, and manually
> configuring 2 isa sio ports in a kernel config (along with
> COM_MULTIPORT). This is not ideal as it changes if the config of the
> machine is altered. (PCI allocations change). I would like to get
> 'proper' support working. Is there a way within the sio driver to spawn
> two seperate devices from one pci probe ? Is a better solution to treat
> the device as a pci bridge and spawn to child sio ports from this ? Can
> anyone point me at the right doco, or a driver which already implements
> something like this ?

I also urgently need extra serial ports on two new machines and
have only PCI slots to put them in.  I found a 4 port serial card
from PC COM but it's not recognized at all by FreeBSD 4.3.

I'm willing to spend a couple of days trying to get them to work
if there's any chance getting it to work reliably.

But I have never played with drivers for PCI cards.  I've read
the serial port source thoroughly some 8 years ago or so and
have done many C programming projects over the last 17 years
but I've no clue where to start getting this serial port to
work.  There is source for a Linux driver available however.

Regards,

Paul Schenkeveld