Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 1996 15:09:51 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        mc7953@mclink.it (Marco Masotti)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, mc7953@mclink.it
Subject:   Re: rlogin as root refused

> I'm getting problems doing rlogin as root, always when towards FreeBSD
> machines.
>
> I can do rsh generic commands and rcp, but not rlogin.
>
> I set a "+" in the ~root/.rhosts file, but this doesn't suffice.

It is *dangerous* to do this.  You want to specify particular machines
and users, if you allow this at all.

> Nevertheless, when doing rsh|rlogin <FreeBSD host>, I get:
>
> # rsh <FreeBSD host>
> Password:
> root login refused on this terminal.
> login:

look at /etc/ttys.  Note the word "network" instead of the word
"secure".  Man ttys.

The pty's do not allow root login.  This is a security option which
you *can* turn off.  We advise against it strongly (so strongly,
that by default we don't allow it, and you have to turn it off).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.