Date:      Thu, 15 Jul 1999 06:25:49 -0500 (CDT)
From:      <mestery@visi.com>
To:        rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk
Cc:        rdawes@ucsd.edu, wes@softweyr.com, jabley@patho.gen.nz, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 32-bit sparc port

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999, Robert Swindells wrote:

> This is the StrongArm system that I bought. It was cheaper than a
> Netwinder and can use better graphics cards etc. since it is just
> a motherboard. Plus it runs *BSD not Linux.

Yes, it is pretty nice.  I had looked at getting one of these over a
year ago to prototype some stuff.  The StrongARM is a nice chip, but
has one drawback.  It's cache design is not optimal for multi-tasking
Unix systems.  It's virtually indexed, so everytime you context switch
you have to flush the entire data cache (16K).  And this is a terribly
slow process, as the way to flush the cache is to read 16K from a cache
flush region.  With lmbench and a 200MHz SA-110 running Linux, I'm
seeing context switch times of approx. 400 microseconds.  Ick.  Despite
all this, the system is stable and runs pretty well.  It's currently
running a webserver.

> I suppose this is getting a bit off-topic for freebsd-sparc.

Agreed.  Redirecting to chat.:)

--
Kyle Mestery			| StorageTek's Storage Networking Group
mestery@visi.com		| http://www.freebsd.org/