Date:      Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:14:31 +0700
From:      Stefan Probst <stefan.probst@opticom.v-nam.net>
To:        Chris Thomas <resopmok@gramsc1.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, Rob Hurle <rob@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Subject:   Re: AdoreWorm

Hello Chris,

At 09:58 14.11.2001 -0500, you wrote:
-------------------------
>There is no reason I can think of to use
>it [telnetd] on any modern server, because ssh clients are widely and freely
>available for every platform.

I will give you some reasons:
1. Until a few weeks ago, Vietnam was behind a nation-wide firewall, which
didn't let ssh pass. I had no choice than to do everything via telnetd.
2. Encryption is until today technically illegal here. Although people use
it permanently for https and ... ssh in the future....

But, just to clarify: On all my machines, root has neither telnet, nor ftp
access. And I am not on a cable modem (where the whole neighbourhood can
sniff packets), but dial-up to the ISP, and from there comparable direct
lines to the server in the US. "Only" provider staff should have access to
the lines, i.e. be able to sniff.

And, as somebody else has suggested: Yes, I have Putty. I tried it once
before and failed at the firewall. I used it today. And had problems to
type the "pipe" | on my non-US keyboard....

It ain't that easy...

Cheers,
Stefan

PS: Has somebody already analyzed that "AdoreBSD"?