Date:      Sat, 22 Aug 1998 09:50:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: main platform?

On 21-Aug-98 kevink@mindless.com wrote:
> Who uses FreeBSD as their primary computing platform at home?

I do, have been for a little over two years now.  I still have Windows 95 on a
separate hard drive, but about the only time I use it is when I need to run
Quicken to pay my bills, or when I feel like dabbling with a little MIDI
composing/arranging using Cakewalk.

But basically, I have FreeBSD running 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  Got a
local news server (INN 1.7.2) running (reading news locally is heaven!),
pulling in news from my ISP at half-hour intervals using suck, local caching
DNS server, fetchmail to retrieve my mail every half-hour (I'm subscribed to
about a dozen lists and get a lotta mail), and so on and so forth.

One would have to be insane to want to give up this kind of power in favor of a
"pretty" OS that crashes routinely, has a crippled command line shell, and
basically only lets you do whatever the idiot user interface to any particular
program allows you to do.

E-Mail: Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>