Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 15:25:13 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
Cc:        Enoch Wu <elok516@shellyeah.org>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Gene Harris <zeus@tetronsoftware.com>
Subject:   Re: telnet client for win95/98

> Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 07:34:14 -0600 (CST)
> From: Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> [insert obligatory Telnet-Is-Evil-Use-SSH lecture]
>
> TeraTerm is as good as it gets when it comes to freeware for the purpose.
> It does support ssh1 with an extension that I found to be really messy and
> wouldn't consider an option but it's all you'll get for free. SecureCRT if
> you're in North America.

I don't see what you are referring to by calling it "messy". You
install the plug-in and you get an added selection of SSH in the
connection dialog. Select it and connect and you get a screen asking
for you pass phrase and the location of the identity file. (The
location of the identity file is normally saved so it need be entered
only one.)

For a standard connection, I click the TeraTerm icon, hit a return to
connect, enter my pass phrase, and I'm in. I can't see that as
messy. Forwards my X traffic over the ssh tunnel as well.

I've tried SecureCRT and it's quite nice, too, but I don't think the
SSH1 integration is any better than that in TeraTerm.

What was weak (although I believe it's now better) was the
documentation.  Simply put, drop the ttssh files into the TeraTerm
folder and set the environment variable TERATERM_EXTENSIONS to 1 in
the place appropriate to your OS.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)