Date:      Mon, 5 Apr 1999 02:38:18 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IRCd'ish related dns issue

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, admin wrote:

> I run a small (4 server) ircd network who would like to have a 'round
> robin' -  revolving connection type of thing happen to user when they
> connect to the main hub's hostname. So by connecting to the main hub's
> hostname they have a 1 in 4 chance of landing on the actual name - this
> will greatly share the load on the hub.
>
> I'm sure its easier to understand than type coherently.. hope someone
> can understand me.

If they're connecting to something like irc.yourdomain.com which is
specifically used ONLY for irc purposes, then it's easy enough to do.
However, if they are connecting to the true host name (eg
mymachine.yourdomain.com) which is also used for other things like MX
records or inbound telnets, you may have some problems. You don't really
want mail for your host being delivered to other machines...

BIND will let you use multiple A records for a single hostname. It's been
a while since I did it but it's something like:

host		IN	A	192.168.0.1
		IN	A	192.168.0.2
		IN	A	192.168.0.3

etc etc. You may also be able to use CNAME instead of A so you don't need
to keep track of IP addresses. Of course, YMMV

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                     Sensation Internet Services, Melbourne Aust
fidonet: 3:635/728                                          +61-3-9388-9260