Date:      Sat, 27 Aug 2005 16:09:49 -0500
From:      fci <ces.fci@gmail.com>
To:        Carstea Catalin <carstea.catalin@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backup and restore mysql

On 8/27/05, Carstea Catalin <carstea.catalin@gmail.com> wrote:
> how to backup and restore mysql databases?

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/mysqldump.html

most relevent part of it ( you will need to do -u$username -p$password to l=
ogin:

- - snip - -
 The most common use of mysqldump is probably for making a backup of
an entire database:

shell> mysqldump --opt db_name > backup-file.sql

You can read the dump file back into the server like this:

shell> mysql db_name < backup-file.sql

Or like this:

shell> mysql -e "source /path-to-backup/backup-file.sql" db_name

mysqldump is also very useful for populating databases by copying data
from one MySQL server to another:

shell> mysqldump --opt db_name | mysql --host=3Dremote_host -C db_name

It is possible to dump several databases with one command:

shell> mysqldump --databases db_name1 [db_name2 ...] > my_databases.sql

If you want to dump all databases, use the --all-databases option:

shell> mysqldump --all-databases > all_databases.sql
- - snip - -