Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 14:46:23 -0600
From:      Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Username size limit suggestion

Hi all,
  I believe that we can all agree that there is never going to be an agreed
upon limit on the username size.  I have just finished rebuilding my system
to support 32-character usernames (I think, have to finish testing it).  I
have a suggestion and also a couple of questions.  First the suggestion:

Suggestion:
  I noticed that the adduser script has the 16 character limit hard-coded
into the file.  I was thinking that it might be a good idea to make that a
configurable global variable or something of that sort (i.e. $UT_NAMESIZE,
ala. sys/params.h, at the top of the file.)  That way those of us who want
longer names could easily change the variable and be done with it.  I
understand that it is probably done this way to force people to know what
they are doing when they change it.

Questions:
  1.  Are there performance issues relating the the length of the username?

  2.  Are these (listed below) the only changes necessary to get the new
username length to be active:

    a.  Have full source tree
    b.  change src/sys/sys/params.h (#define UT_NAMESIZE) to reflect the
new length
    c.  change src/include/utmp.h (#define MAXLOGNAME (UT_NAMESIZE+1))
    d.  make world
    c.  cat /dev/null > /var/log/wtmp
    d.  cat /dev/null > /var/run/utmp
    e.  cat /dev/null > /var/log/lastlog
     f.  edit /usr/sbin/adduser (change 16 to whatever)
    d.  recompile ports and other programs that use wtmp,utmp and lastlog

  Is that it??  I am going to be completing testing, but I am wondering
what gotchas are waiting for me :)...

Thanks,
Ben Gavin

  Benjamin Gavin - Senior Consultant