Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 21:00:50 -0800
From:      jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
To:        ccsanady@nyx.pr.mcs.net, jdc@xinside.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pcvt/132 columns

Jeremy Chatfield wrote:

> Chris Csanady wrote:
> >
> > Just a thought, but what about using some sort of generic frame buffer
driver
> > in the kernel.  <snip...>
> > I'm not sure, but I think that netbsd has something like this for sun
and some
> > other architectures, and also a generic console that uses it.  I suppose
X must
> > also have some of the necessary code as will if they work together.
> >
> > For what its worth,
> > chris
>
> [reasons why this would be really slow]
>
> Thanks for the suggestions though.  It would certainly make our lives
> simpler if everyone was happy with plain framebuffer performance!

Having seen the Sun console frame buffer on the older SPARCstations (like
the SPARCstation 2), I am absolutely positive you don't want that on the PC!

The problem with the Sun console, that Jeremy didn't mention, is that the
frame buffer doesn't actually have a built-in text mode, like VGA cards do.
The nice thing about VGA is that the CPU only needs to send ASCII characters
to it, an order of magnitude less information than sending font bitmaps to
it (and also much simpler).  The worst part about the Sun, though, was that
there's actually an OpenBoot FORTH (in other words INTERPRETED) program in
the card's ROM which is used to draw the characters out to the screen,
leading to painfully slow speeds (slower than even a 9600 baud terminal on
the SPARC 2's) and tremendous CPU utilization, although it seems that NetBSD
and Solaris manage to speed up the console somehow, compared to SunOS
(NetBSD actually has a "RASTERCONSOLE" in the kernel, which probably has
something to do with it).

The end result is that in many cases, when bringing up one of the older
Suns, it is FAR faster to get X running, or rlogin from another system, to
edit the /etc files, than to suffer through vi running on the framebuffer
console!

-- Jake