Date:      Fri, 26 Jan 1996 11:51:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dyson@freefall.freebsd.org (John Dyson)
Cc:        current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Good news -- pipe stuff

> Pipe latency is about 2x the speed, pipe bandwidth is about 50% faster,
> and I am still evaluating the context switch -- but it is faster.  Before
> I include the changes, I plan to add more intelligent memory management
> of pipes (including making them pageable -- instead of tieing up wired
> memory), and page-flipping.  Page-flipping should add about 50% more onto
> the bandwidth.

Good show on the pipe code!

I read the Lai/Baker paper: in "Figure 1", FreeBSD kicks some serious
butt on context switches -- it appears to be both flat and linear past
200 processes (the limit of the graph in the figure).

I would be loathe to screw with what is essentially "perfection", IMO.
Solaris is on the order of 3 times slower until 30 processes, and jumps
to 6-9 times slower based on algorithm (the worst algorithm being the
one they must use in the SMP case).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---