Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 14:21:04 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        "James A. Mutter" <jmutter@netwalk.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions about the acd driver (IDE CD-ROM)

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jun 1999, James A. Mutter wrote:
>

> > Hi all,
> >
> > I finally broke down and bought an IDE CDROM for my system today.  I
> > don't plan to do much of anything with it except make copies of my
> > cd's into mp3 format.  I'm having a problem with the IDE driver.
> >
> > I've added these lines into my kernel config file:
> >
> > *****
> > options         ATAPI_STATIC
> > controller      wdc1    at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 flags
> > 0x80ffa0ff vector
> >  wdintr
> > disk            wd2     at wdc1 drive 0
> > disk            wd3     at wdc1 drive 1
> > device          acd0
> > device          acd1
> > device          acd2
> > device          acd3
> > *****
> >
> > I know I went a little overboard with the acd devices, I figure _one_
> > of them will be correct, and I can remove the bad ones later.  :)
> >
> > Anyhow, when I boot the system I get this:
> >
> > *****
> > wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0x80ffa0ff on isa
> > wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <WDC AC22500L>, DMA, 32-bit, multi-block-16
> > wd0: 2441MB (4999680 sectors), 4960 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> > wdc0: unit 1 (wd1): <Maxtor 90340D2>, 32-bit, multi-block-16
> > wd1: 3242MB (6640704 sectors), 6588 cyls, 16 heads, 63 S/T, 512 B/S
> > wdreset: error1: 0x0
> > wdreset: error1: 0x0
> > wdc1 not found at 0x170

I just noticed this and wonder if he has enabled the 2nd IDE controller
in the BIOS. You have to set up the IDE in two places. The first place
is for the drives. The second setting determines whether one or both
controllers are active. If the second controller was active, he would
have seen something at 0x170.

Kent

> > *****
> >
> > I'm assuming that those "wdreset" errors are because there isn't a HDD
> > attached to the device.  But where is my CDROM?  At the minimum I
> > would have expected an error complaining that it can't find it?
> >
> > Any help is appreciated.
> >

> Have you made sure the master/slave/single jumpers on the drives
> are set correctly?
>
> Re-read the LINT config file, you may need to set "options ATAPI_STATIC"
>
> -Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|bright@wintelcom.net]
> systems administrator and programmer
>     Win Telecom - http://www.wintelcom.net/

Kent Stewart