Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2000 02:14:16 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Fabio Miranda <fmirand@yahoo.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: postfix

At 1:51 PM -0800 2000/12/11, Fabio Miranda wrote:

>  I would like to know why freebsd.org uses postfix
>  beside of sendmail, being sendmail a team also from
>  berkeley and with same style of development?
>  how could freebsd.org do that? i made an effor for
>  understand how sendmail works and i use it in my site
>  and i hope someday be in touch with the development.

	The five things that you generally care about in an MTA (or most
any program) are:

		1.  Security
		2.  Speed
		3.  Robustness
		4.  Ease of configuration & maintenance
		5.  Ease of monitoring

	Classicly, the open source version of sendmail has failed more or
less on each of these points.  Alternative programs such as postfix
have tended to do better, because they can take the lessons learned
in sendmail and avoid making those same mistakes, while they start
from a clean slate.

	More recently, open source versions of sendmail have
significantly improved in many of these areas, but you can at least
still argue that alternative programs such as postfix still continue
to win, at least when you're talking about default configurations (or
configurations not too far away from the default).

	Of course, if you know what you're doing, you can configure the
open source version of sendmail to perform at or above the levels
provided by virtually any other program on the planet -- see my paper
at <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/papers/sendmail-tuning/>; or
Nick Christenson's paper at
<http://www.jetcafe.org/~npc/doc/performance_tuning.pdf>.

	Now, if you're willing to talk about commercial MTAs, the guys at
Sendmail, Inc. have done some *OUTSTANDING* work on the monitoring
and maintenance sides of sendmail.  During the two years I was Senior
Internet Mail Systems Administrator at AOL, we cobbled together all
our own tools on top of things like ssh, rcp, rsh, Tivoli, our own
custom agents running on each machine, etc... and we *never*
approached the virtually trivial ease that these guys have gotten
things down to.

	Believe me, I am not a GUI person when it comes to being an admin
-- you'll never see me use admintool on Sun Solaris, SAM on HP-UX,
smit on AIX, etc... and you'll never see me use web-based
administration tools like webmin.  I've been in this business for far
too long to do that sort of stuff.

	Yet, when I see what the guys at Sendmail, Inc. have done for
making graphical administration and monitoring easy and powerful, I
realize just how much of a dinosaur I have become.  Having seen this
stuff, I don't ever again want to generate my own sendmail.cf files
with m4, I don't ever again want to distribute and update sendmail.cf
files with ssh/rcp/rsh/etc..., and I don't ever again want to try to
build my own network monitoring system with rrdtool, UCD SNMP, custom
scripts to get to the things UCD SNMP can't do, etc....

	So, it all really depends on what you want to do, how you want to
do it, and what you're willing to do to get there.

	For those with short memories, I would remind you that sendmail
also got its start with BSD, while at Berkeley (long before FreeBSD
was even a glint in someone's eye).  I would also remind you that the
softupdates code you're all so very happy with comes from Kirk
McKusick, who is Eric Allman's partner.

Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>                || Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
Systems Architect, Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin || Rue Colonel Bourg, 124
Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.13.11/12.49             || B-1140 Brussels
http://www.skynet.be                         || Belgium