Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 00:02:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Kenton A. Hoover" <shibumi@cisco.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD mentioned in SRO Update

On 17-Jan-99 Kenton A. Hoover wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jan 1999 00:15:02 MST, Sendmail channeled Wes Peters saying:
>> >5. The Cheapest Route: A Tale Of Linux Vs. Cisco
>> http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/srou990114/www.zdnet.com/sr/stories/column/0,471
> 2,381687,00.html
>>
>> There's not a single long-haul packet on the Net that doesn't pass through at
>> least one Cisco router on its way from hither to yon. But there's just one
>> little problem: It's expensive--very expensive. So why not try Linux instead?
>
> You have a Linux box that will switch at OC-12 speeds available?

At the moment?  No.  Could I build one given a couple of months?
You bet.  I'll just stick an assortment of the Xylan ASICs lying
around on my desk onto a card, load the ASX driver onto it, and
write a virtual router port driver for FreeBSD.  You'd be amazed
what you can do with a little board space, a Mammoth, and a
Whistler.  Actually, you'd probably be amazed what I can do with
just a Mammoth, or perhaps shocked and dismayed...  ;^)

I can certainly build a FreeBSD box that will kick living hell out
of a 2500 for far less money, and run a web server, nntp cache,
mail server, and ftp server all on it at the same time.

> (I do not speak for my employer...)

Nor I mine, that's why I don't participate in these mailing lists
from their computers.  But trust me, we build stuff that will switch
at OC-12 speeds and WAY beyond.  Our engineering network consists
of switched OC-12 links; you should see NFS fly in that environment.

;^)