Date:      Thu, 2 Apr 1998 10:59:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>, Marc Fournier <marc.fournier@acadiau.ca>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940UW with two ?? UW drives...

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > 	Symptom: if I telnet to the machine, I get:
> > >
> > > telnet hub.org
> > > Trying 209.47.148.200...
> > > Connected to hub.org.
> > > Escape character is '^]'.
> > >
> > > 	And it just sits there...
> >
> > Try turning off TCP_EXTENSIONS in /etc/rc.conf -- this doesn't
> > look like a SCSI problem. :-)

  No, very common SCSI problem.  If the SCSI bus hangs, telnet sessions
(and everything else) hangs too.  The kernel is always resident, and
accepts the connection, but if inetd is not paged in or telnetd has to be
loaded off the disk, the session hangs.  The system will also respond to
pings (handled completely in the kernel).

Tom