Date:      Sun, 10 Sep 2000 22:47:47 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Tim Moore <tmoore@ventecc.com>
Cc:        Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Web Server

Tim Moore wrote:

> Anyone running a web server that takes 400 hits an hour? If so what kind of
> hardware is it running on?

	How about 400 hits per minute? :) No one gave you any substantial data
for this question, so I'll wade in. I have a suite of servers doing CGI
processing that get hit about this often, and they are running on Intel
I 1250 boxes. They have L440GX+ motherboards, dual P3/550 cpu's and 512
M of ram each. The cpu power is only needed because the CGI processing
is highly intensive. They are all running various incarnations of
FreeBSD 4.x, and the best performing ones are using 4.1-Stable.

	If you are doing high-availability web serving (in other words, your
business is dead if the web page isn't up) you want at least two boxes
running behind a load balancing solution of some sort, such as Foundry
or ArrowPoint. Make sure that you are actually balancing the load
between the two machines... the idea of keeping a "spare" machine to
fire up as needed is usually fraught with danger.

Good luck,

Doug