Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 08:44:02 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   JDK port (was Re: pccard and -current; a long way to go. :-()

> My next JDK port which I'm working on now (not sure if I should do a
> stable 1.1.4 port or just skip ahead to 1.2, neither of which the
> Linux people have yet) would happily use ELF if it solves the
> dlsym(RTLD_NEXT) problem (namely, we don't have it) and it also
> eliminates a bunch of kludges in the Java interpreter code that I have
> to make because we prepend underscores and the rest of the world
> doesn't.

If you can give me a JDK port, I'll be an ELF advocate. :) :)

Nate

ps.  I'd be *really* happy to have a 1.1.4 port first, since I've found
that if you jump too far ahead of the JDK curve, you end up spending
most of your time debugging the tools/libraries, and a 1.1.4 port would
give us a lot more 'longevity'.  People are still actively using your
1.0.2 port.