Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 23:57:11 +0000
From:      Ian J Greely <Ian@tirnanog.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jaz drives, booting from one?

Just adding my 0.02 cents worth on the reliability of the Jaz disks.

=46rom personal experience of these devices on several thousand servers
the failure rate of the disks is *phenominal*.=20

These are an incredibly flakey device and I would suggest that unless
you intend to run the machine in a clean environment (like the Intel
Plant in Leixlip!) don't do this to yourself.

It's not really a case of if the device fails more a case of when.

Added to this is the upgrade path Iomega have. The older 1 Gig disks
are no longer being created and it is not possible to use the newer 2
Gig disks in the older device. The new device will not allow low level
formatting of the older 1 Gig disks... Not a company with a "the
customer is king" philosophy. *smile*

If you really want "removable" buy a removable cady for hot swapable
SCSI disks and a few low capacity SCSI disks. Given how expensive the
media for the Jaz is it will not really make all that much difference
cost-wise.

Even better, forget the "hot" and buy a removable cady for IDE disks.
=46or the cost of 3 X 1 Gig Jaz disks you can buy a 18Gig quantum HD.
*shrug*

regards,
Ian