Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:00:43 -0500
From:      "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>, wolf <mjoyner2@hq.dyns.cx>
Cc:        Marc Hunter <hunter@hunter.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipfw and natd during internal to internal access ...

At 03:35 PM 10.10.2002 -0600, Nick Rogness wrote:
>On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, wolf wrote:
>
>> You might try freebsd-hackers or freebsd-stable mailing lists. They are
>> more technically oriented for things like this.
>
>	Um, no don't send this to hackers or stable.  That is not
>	their focus.  This type of question is a newbie question and
>	belongs on this list.  This question gets asked probably once a
>	month or so...maybe needs to be added to someone's FAQ I suppose.
>
>	Besides, they will probably tell you the same thing that was
>	mentioned below.

Yes, this is asked often and wish there was some good complete answers --
"roadmaps". One answer I suppose is to use a hardware router (but I don't
want to). I too prefer using FBSD as a software router and DNS server. But,
I don't have the extra internal DNS server set up either. Our networked
machines can go to each web server on the network via the internal IP, like
192.168.0.xxx.

It gets more complicated because of redirects from the routing machine
(which is also the external DNS server) to the various web servers on the
same network.

It loads up the web sites just fine. Or, also I can just step over to a
machine with a modem connected to the Internet and go to each one too that
way.

The above is just another couple of workarounds. I should set up another
machine to do the Internal DNS. Are there some good URLs with info on
setting up such a server for this and won't interfere with the router and
external DNS setups...???

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator