Date:      Sat, 22 Jul 2000 02:34:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        "Lawrence Cotnam Jr." <larry@pkunk.net>
Cc:        Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Legacy Device Support (Was RE: No help...)

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Lawrence Cotnam Jr. wrote:
> I think a medium between maintaining support for legacy hardware, and
> developing support for the latest and greatest would be beneficial, to
> everyone, whom intends to use this system.

I don't think anyone would disagree that legacy hardware support is of
some importance but in reality its fairly difficult to convince developers
to spend lots of time working on drivers for devices that won't work in
the majority of new computers sold today.

> I certainly agree, more effort should be applied toward writing code and
> support for the new devices out there, but at the same time, I think a
> strong commitment to maintaining legacy code for older devices, especially
> when such devices had code in the system before wouldn't be very difficult.

So who is supposed to have this "strong commitment"?  My desire to play
with old hardware only covers so much commitment before I get frusterated
or bored or distracted with something else.  Are you suggesting that this
"strong commitment" be expressed in a staffing budget and if so who's
budget?

--
| Matthew N. Dodd  | '78 Datsun 280Z | '75 Volvo 164E | FreeBSD/NetBSD  |
| winter@jurai.net |       2 x '84 Volvo 245DL        | ix86,sparc,pmax |