Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:38:51 +0100
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        David Banning <david+dated+1103787831.5004e2@skytracker.ca>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: traffic volume monitoring - what program

> I am looking at a new ISP that charges for a certain number
> gigabites of traffic. I have -no- idea what my traffic volume
> is.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good traffic volume checker in the
> ports?

I recommend setting up snmpd + rrdtool (portinstall net/net-snmp net/rrdtool).
It's much easier and cleaner to configure than mrtg (in my experience).

If you're interested I have a few scripts that do what you want in a basic
bandwidth graphing situation for a few hosts; generating relatively sane
graphs.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org