Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 22:49:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      nsayer@quack.kfu.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern/3172: CS4232 support trouble for mss0

>Number:         3172
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       CS4232 support trouble for mss0
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2-ALPHA i386
>Environment:

HP Omnibook 5000

The current release of OSS seems broken, so I am left with trying to
get the Voxware stuff to work. The CS4232 doesn't probe at all
without the DOS/win enabler, but alas, even with it the resulting
configuration is incompatable with the MSS driver. The enabler leaves
the card at 0x530, IRQ 5, DMA 0 & 1.

Fortunately the contents of attach_ms_sound() are largely ineffectual
(the parts that set the IRQ and DMA at least) for the CS4232.
But IRQ 5 is not a traditional MSS setting. The fix is to fiddle
attach_ms_sound()'s interrupt_bits list so that the entry for
irq 5 is 0 instead of -1, then compile the kernel with
MSS_PLAIN_AD1848 (see PR # 1636). probe_ms_sound() will be largely
eviscerated MS_PLAIN_AD1848. attach_ms_sound() will poke around
not doing anything important, and pass along that it looks like a
CS4231, which is fine, and everything will work.

All of this nonsense is necessary because the sb driver (which otherwise
works) doesn't realize that this is a 16 bit sound card (sbxvi doesn't
work).

Clearly, however, the correct thing to do is to add CS4232 support
to both probe_ms_sound (to work around MSS_PLAIN_AD1848 and to do
the work of the DOS enabler) and attach_ms_sound (to not bother trying
to set the DMA and IRQ and to not freak about "weird" combinations).