Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 14:54:00 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Thomas van Gulick <melkor@Cal040031.student.utwente.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performance

Thomas van Gulick wrote:

> I'm currently evaluating FreeBSD as a replacement of Linux as my primary
> development OS. I'm using a Dual PentiumPro system with 192 MB for this.

I have a similar setup, Dual P-Pro 200 with 256Mb of RAM...

> However, FreeBSD feels a bit 'sluggish' compared to Linux. A bit slower on
> every task so it seems.

Hmmm... That's funny, the main reason I switched to FreeBSD was it performed
better / faster - especially under load  - heavier the better :)

> Are there any performance tweaks to increase my system's operating speed?
> I'm currently using the 4-CURRENT, async io and edited the kernel config
> file for as much speed as possible.

If your running -Current try switching to softupdates rather than async IO -
The _only_ area I found Linux used to be quicker than FreeBSD was with
filesystem throughput, which is apparntly because they run their filesystem as
the equivalent of 'sync', I'd always been more than willing to pay the price
of 'async' vs. 'sync' on the damage recovery front...

-Current lets you use softupdates, which really are pretty much best of both
worlds (fast, and safe).

Other than that - do you have any quantitive figures for 'slower'?, e.g. "my
program takes 40% longer to compile" or anything?

> Please reply by email too.

Have done :) ...